- Cain Textbook reading: 1.1 - 1.2
- External readings: "Scientific Method"; "Identify the Controls & Variables"
your readings, define: science, scientific method, theory, observation, hypothesis, prediction, experiment, independent variable, dependent variable, control group, experimental group
the steps of the Scientific Method by showing how you would use it to solve a household problem or determine which product to purchase. Here are some scenarios:
- why did the dishes come out of the dishwasher still dirty?
- which car should I purchase for my hour-long commute in this time of high gas prices?
- What are some limitations to science or the scientific method (i.e. what can it not be used for?)
- Work through the problems in the external reading, "Identify the Controls & Variables", so you know how to identify controls, and independent and dependent variables, in an experiment (knowing these will come in handy in lab).
- Read Cain 1.2. Describe the seven shared characteristics of biological life.
- Review & Application of Key Concepts 1, 2